Wednesday, February 22, 2012

What I’m Giving Up For Lent


For the first time in 18 years I will not spend this particular day preparing for our entrance into Lent, which has always been my favorite season of the church year along with Advent.  Why do I love it?  Because it is full of symbolism, mystery and anticipation.  I love prophetic scriptures and the metaphorical stories and parables Jesus often tells to the disciples in the New Testament.  They rarely understand a word he says, which is always comical.  I can just imagine the exasperated look on his face after telling them something of dire importance which is met with the same blank stare I often saw on my students’ faces in class after asking them a question.  I’m sure there was more than one occasion where he said to God, “Really, Lord?  These are the chosen ones?  This is all I’ve got to work with???”  


Even though we think we know what we are anticipating – the coming of Easter and whatever that means for you – there is always the possibility of the unexpected if you set yourself up for it.  How Is that so, you ask?  By choosing whatever Lenten discipline is best for you.  Even if you are not a Christian, taking advantage of a 40 day period of reflection and discipline could lead to some meaningful changes or epiphanies in your life.  Other religions have similar practices and spiritual pilgrimages.  Ben and I had dinner with some new friends a few weeks ago and we had a fascinating conversation with a couple from India about some of their spiritual goals.  The different religions of the world have a lot to offer each other in their spiritual practices – why not explore them and see what’s there?  


My Christian friends (and no doubt my father, the retired AME minister) are probably raising their eyebrows right now and wondering what I’ve been smoking in Minnesota for the past 3 days.  Why nothing, of course – just that crisp, clean Midwestern air, with a little bit of Malt-O-Meal fumes mixed in.  If my Aunt were still alive she’d be on her way to my house right now, Bible in hand, doily on head, ready to cleanse my mind and soul from wayward thoughts (praise Him!), and there would surely be a lot of whooping and hollering going on.  


No, I’m not giving up Christianity, or delving into some vague, foggy new-age spiritual practice.   I’m just thinking.  Ruminating.  I’ve been blessed over the last 15 years or so to be immersed by the life-giving traditions of Lutheran and Anglican theology and liturgy, and I’m not giving them up for the world.  I’m just letting them simmer for a bit.  Putting the pot on the back burner of the stove – not forgotten by any means – but occasionally stirring, letting interesting aromas waft about in anticipation of some particularly yummy concoction.  No idea what it will be, but it will a meal I’ll feed off of for some time, I'm sure.  


This is all very vague, Nicole, you’re saying.  Maybe you need some more sleep (most definitely).  Maybe the cabin of that airplane you’re on isn’t quite pressurized right and you’re not getting enough oxygen (doubt it).  Maybe you actually need to start smoking something (I’ve thought about it…just kidding). I do think there are times when we can’t get what we’ve normally got from the places we normally get them from.  Then we just have to make it up as we go along for a while.  Wander around without having to make any real decisions until the moment is right.  There’s nothing wrong with that, as long as you don’t wander around for too long – then you just end up lost.  But I’m not too worried about that, with all those eyebrow-raising friends and family around.  I’m sure someone will smack me in the head with a Bible, a Prayer Book, or a Large Catechism eventually (the Small one just might not be enough).  


So, what am I giving up for Lent?  I’m giving up Lent – the Lent as I have known it for the bulk of my life.  Not because there is anything wrong with it – no bashing of Christian practices here.  As much as I had come to depend on and look forward to the familiar patterns of liturgy, worship, and observances, I find that I am even more looking forward to forging my own way through the season.  Every year I say to myself that I will read this or that book and I never do it, so I’m not even going to pretend this year.  What I am going to do is dabble.  Peruse the web for different materials.  Visit other people’s blogs and writing – a little Lenten voyeurism, if you will.  A good friend of mine has an excellent blog that I follow – visit his posting for Ash Wednesday here.  He has suggested a number of ideas and resources for exploring the season and exploring ourselves.  I’m going definitely going to check them out – don’t know if I’ll actually follow any of them.  I won’t commit to commit this year – just can’t do that right now.  But I’ll see what’s out there.  If you’ve found something good, please share it below – you never know what can be sparked from one good idea…


Happy Lenting!



1 comment:

  1. I like it. I was just discussing this with a friend...a quote from her (this was actually in reference to that other blog you mention, which I had forwarded):

    I like it when I see parallels in religions with “the basics” of attitude and intent. And, in this case that “commit to praying for your enemies for 40 days" thing sounds a LOT like Metta in Buddhism. The idea with practicing Metta mediation is that you start sending good wishes where it’s easiest (yourself or someone you love dearly, then move to people you’re neutral toward, and eventually you work into the ability send good toward your enemies.) It’s really beautiful when the goodness and wisdom of religions overlap.

    ReplyDelete